Two days ago in science class, we made DNA strands out of gummy bears and licorice! It was SO much fun...especially when we got to eat them! What we did was thread chocolate and strawberry licorice pieces onto thread. Brown licorice was phosphate sugar molecules. Red licorice was pentose sugar molecules. Then, we correctly blended green "guanine" gummy bears with yellow "cytosine" gummy bears and red "adenine" gummy bears with orange "thymine" gummy bears, put them on toothpicks, and stuck them on the sugar molecules. Before, I did not know that pentose sugar molecules contained nitrogen bases and phosphate sugar molecules didn't. Also, did you know that you can only mix guanine with cytosine and adenine with thymine? I didn't know that either! Oh, yeah, and I didn't know that guanine, cytosine, adenine, and thymine were represented in different shapes, so that only the matching pieces went together. Did you know those three things??? I still believe that I will never fully understand genetics, although through creating this DNA strand model I have gotten a little closer...I mean, I just learned about adenine, cytosine, guanine, thymine, pentose sugar molecules, and phosphate sugar molecules!!! Here, I found the directions to almost the same lab that we did! Did you know that "if the total DNA in one person were laid in a straight line, it would stretch to the sun and back over 600 times."? That information was from this site. (I made it from document form to html form for your access.) Also from the same page, I found out that humans are 99.9% identical and only 0.1% of our genetic makeup differs! How amazing is that? So again, still stating this from my last post, I believe I have a lot of catching up to do to get totally up-to-date with genetics. However, it's also important to start from the beginning, so we know some background things. (Thanks again, treasure, for the help!)
Friday, February 2, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment